Kit Reviews

Video Builds

Revell 1-24 #11 FedEx Monte Carlo SS

by Ross Armstrong

Here are the box and sprue shots.

The  number and quality of the kit parts was much higher than what I was expecting. It looks like it should be a fun build.

The build goes quickly so I didn't post any of the small updates from my evenings work during this past week.

Started construction with the engine. The block is painted with Alclad Aluminum and the exhaust headers with Pale Burnt Metal. I also used the Hot Blue and Red to show heat distortion.

Used some EZ line to try and replicate the spark plug wires. Maybe a bit thin, but I didn't feel like trying to use wire. Plus your really can't see any of it once it is installed and covered by the air cleaner.

I also gave it light black oil wash mainly to try and highlight some of the detail lost in the mass of aluminun color, not to make it look dirty as these engines are very clean.

Many thanks to Llking for his expert help in picking the right colors and sharing pictures of his previous NASCAR builds. Also learned a lot about all the aftermarket stuff available for cars. I thought aircraft and armor builders were aftermarket crazy!  Will definitely have to play with some of those parts in a future build.

Anyway, most of the interior was painted with Vallejo Model Air 049 Light Grey. Lots of hand brush painting to pick out details.

To try and replicate the look of the red and blue anodized aluminum parts that are frequently used, I first painted the part with Citadel Chainmail. Then I brush painted either Tamiya Clear Red or Blue. I think it matches pretty well.

Most of the supsension parts are painted black.

Used a decal for the instruments and painted some of the electronic boxes with the anodized technique.

Used some of the Hasegawa mirrored foil to make the rear view mirror.

Next phase is assembly of the roll cage.

Also installed the engine and the driver.

The last major assembly is the suspension.

Since the Vallejo is a flat paint and these cars use a semi gloss in real life, I used JW's Right Step Satin Varnish to gloss it up a bit.This was sprayed neat from the bottle at about 25 psi.

Again, following Llking's advice, I sanded the tread face of the tire to both get rid of the mold seam and to make it look more realistic and less like a toy tire.

Here is a before and after side by side shot to show the difference.

Painted the wheels (rims) black and picked out the lug nuts with Citadel Chainmail and used some Power Slide decals for the Goodyear Eagle markings. These definitely make the difference in the authentic look of the tire. I'm surprised they weren't included with the kit since they are so prominent.The slotted brake discs are glued to the inside of the wheel.

Got the interior all finished and the wheels mounted.

Here's a couple of shots before it all disappears under the body.

Painted up the body in black. Next sprayed on a coat of future and allowed it to dry overnight. Next came all the nice Power Slide decals then finished it off with a brushed on coat of Future.

Once it is fully cured, I'll check to see how glossy it is. It is supposed to be a semi-gloss and not a high gloss. If it is too flat I may brush on another coat of future or spray on the JW Right Stuff semi-gloss.
Finally had a chance to finish up everything.

But being the crazy modeller that I am, I would not be content to just put this up the shelf all alone. 

So I broke out a piece of insulated foam board to use as a base and some fine grit sandpaper to replicate the asphalt.

I found the following picture on the internet.

And with a little help with some photo editing software (GIMP), I turned it into this:

I put these all together and came up with this display stand - now suitable to take to my office (at FedEx!)

This was my first car build, but it won't be my last. I think I need to add a nice formula 1 car to the stash soon.

Here are some exterior pictures.








And a few of the chassis without the body.







Grab one for yourself - they're fun!