Kit Reviews

Video Builds

This is the 1/48 scale A-10A from Italeri with the Eduard PE set, Resin seat  and Twobobs Bagram decals.

The PE set is for the Tamiya kit as there wasn't one at the time on writing this. Now there is a PE set for the Italeri kit and Aires make a fantastic resin cockpit No4348

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

First up is the cockpit. This is terrible for a 1/48 scale model as the kit would have you use decals, this is why I used a PE set to liven things up. With a bit of trimming of the PE panel, it fits very well. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

With the Film part you need to paint the back of the film white to get the details to stand out.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket 

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

As you can see in this photo I have painted half of the film to show how it stands out. 

 I then painted the tub dark gull gray and the panels black. I then dry brushed the side panels silver and picked out the switches.

I painted the PE part of the front panel before gluing the film part to the back of the PE and then to the kit part.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Next is the profile of the nose of the A-10. The kit is to boxy and needs to be rounded off. I used a sanding stick to round it off. In the shot below, I have sanded off the port side nose section. You can check how much thickness is left on the kit part by holding it up to a light.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Then the same to the other side.

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I painted the side walls of the cockpit and installed the front panel in place. A wash round with the dark wash helps bring out the details as well as weathering the hole cockpit area.

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Onto the front wheel well, straight forward.

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Installed the tub and added lots of lead, as this will be a tail sitter without it. The fuselage halves are glued together and left to set.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

It's quite a nasty join to get the lower nose part to line up, so I went for the super glue and super glued the hole thing. A spray of CA kicker helped speed thing up. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Sanding and then rescribing was straight forward as it a nice flat service to work with.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And there it is, the new PE cockpit in place.

  Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Now it's on to the engines, this is where the most problems can be found. OK so they're not quite the right shape and there aren't enough fan blades, but you have to look very closely to notice it.

Right, I knew it wasn't going to fit well when I test fitted it, so I went about taking all the  location pins and joins out. The front ones are the first to go.  

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Next the intakes need to be thinned out so the fan fits better.

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Make sure the back is flat to join to the engine.

  Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

 The ring around the fan needs to be tapered in to make a nice fit.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Next you can fit the fan to the intake . It should look something like this.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Next you can see I have removed all the location points from the engine parts, all ready to be put together.  Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Install the jet pipe and upper and lower parts.

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The side panels can go on next. Remember to test fit before gluing, you may need to sand it several times before you are happy with the way it looks. When you're happy glue into place. I used the extra tin cement to flow along the join and weld itself in place.  

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Next fit the intakes to the engines. You can fit the wings and tail.

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The rest of the build is very straight forward with no problems. The only thing I did was to add some brake lines to the under carrage, this was done with fuse wire.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

OK, I finished off building the model, masked up the canopies and sprayed the wheel wells white and the starboad ILS housing black, masked those areas and srayed the whole model with XF-19 as a primer. Next I pre shaded all the panel lines as shown. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I then sprayed the whole model light ghost grey, I use a few light coats to build up the colour over the pre shading. A coat of dark ghost grey went on the upper areas following my references. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Next it's a clear coat and a wash for the panel lines. Decals on and a flat coat. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

With the flat coat dry, brush on  the wash where you want a more dirty look and then with a dry cotton bud rub it away until you have the right look. Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Finally unmask, add all the small bits and pieces and add your weapon load.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

 Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket